Thursday, October 18, 2012

Vegan Fast Food, New York Style!

My friend Jessi and I were lucky enough to score free plane tickets, so we used them to take a trip up to New York to visit our good friends Pj of Vegan CineGrub, who was getting married. It was my first time visiting New York, but it won't be my last.

One of the most exciting things to me about New York was the number of vegan/vegetarian restaurants they have...TONS of them. I live in the small town of Plant City, right outside of Tampa, and even though the name sounds hopeful ("Plant" City), and I love my town, most people here don't even know what the word vegan means, or how to pronounce it, much less how to cook vegan food, which is very unfortunate because Plant City is a big fruit and vegetable farming community. Tampa doesn't have many choices either. Loving Hut is Tampa's only all vegan restaurant, and I am not a fan of our Loving Hut. So I was completely blown away by the number of vegan restaurants that New York has to offer.

I've been to plenty of vegan restaurants in St. Pete and Orlando, so I'm used to all of the hippie dippie foods and the flower teas, and I like them, but judge me all you want, I was looking for a place that had some good ol' fried vegan fast food for a change, and I found all I could ever want and more at Foodswings in Brooklyn, New York.



Behold, Vegan Potato Skins!!!




Fried Vegan Chick'n Cutlet Sandwich


They even have vegan milkshakes!

I wish I could show you more food, but as soon as I saw Vegan Potato Skins on the menu, every other food choice had to take a back seat. But they have something for everyone including, burgers, hot dogs, corn dogs, drumsticks, Philly cheese steaks, milkshakes, cheese fries, punk fried, metal fries... you get my point. Check out their menu here, and plan your trip today!

What is your favorite vegan food hot spot?


Happy Vegan MoFo!

5 comments:

  1. That sounds awesome! If I'm ever in Brooklyn I will definitely check them out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet memories! I went to Foodswings once and I loved it. I was happy to have greasy cheesy food that was vegan and tasty. I'd be there all the time if I lived in NYC.

    I spent a week in Paris last year and I had my share of healthy/hippie/macrobiotic places. They're nice, but they don't necessarily satisfy any cravings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Chick'n sandwich looks good, i'll have to try it. If it's good enough for Coney Island kitty, it's good enough for me! I'm glad you finally got to eat some Amber style food!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I'm gonna have to post a photo of that poor little Coney Island Kitty that I shared my sandwich with. I'll probably do a post about the feral kitties I saw while there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All the food looks great! I am bummed Plant City is not full of plants! :/

    ReplyDelete