Monday, October 10, 2011

Vegan MoFo, Birthday Style!

My birthday fun started Saturday when Loukas and I met up with some friends at Trang's Viet Cuisine in Tampa. They offer a vegan buffet on the 2nd Saturday of every month for $14, which includes your meal, drink, and tip. Trang's is not a vegan restaurant, but they do have a full vegan menu available every day of the week. They also offer a FREE birthday meal to their customers with ID, but since my birthday was on Sunday and they are closed that day, they honored my free meal on Saturday. I gave my free meal to Loukas, because I am not a fan of the food there, which is fine because I just went to hang with friends.

Our next stop was at the Improv Comedy Club in Ybor City. A friend had $1 tickets, so 8 of us went. The headliner was Godfrey, best known as the "make 7-up yours" guy. He has also been in several TV shows like 30 Rock and Louie, and movies such as Zoolander, Johnson Family Vacation, Soul Plane, Phat Girlz, and many others. I really enjoyed the show, I laughed pretty hard at most everything. Photographs were not allowed in the club... boo!, but it was a great night and I already have my eye on a few other comedians that I'd like to see there like Kevin Nealon, who will be there later this month.

Now for the best part of my birthday. My boyfriend, Loukas decided to try his hand at making me a birthday cake. This was the first time he had ever attempted to bake anything. His culinary skills usually consists of PB&J, canned soup, and Smart Dogs, but I was told to give him a recipe and let him do his thing. I handed him one of my favorite cookbooks, Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World, some bowls, pans, and measuring cups... and the birthday baking began!

Here is a photo documentation
of how my favorite birthday cake was born! <3

Studying the recipe.

tsp or TBSP?
That IS the question.

Loukas: "3/4 cup of baking soda?"
Me: "NO!... that's 3/4 tsp of baking soda!"

How long do I have to mix this?

TaDa!
Behold, a naked mini chocolate cake!

Fresh strawberries for the middle.
Yes please!

Pretty!

Stay strawberries!

Strawberry icing.

He spelled Happy B-day with strawberries!
Aww! How sweet! <3

That's a good looking cake!

Chocolate, strawberry goodness!
YUM!!!

I am happy to report that the cake tasted as good as it looks.
A perfect end to my birthday!

The proud chef! :)
Thanks babe! It was my favorite birthday cake ever!


Any other MoFo birthdays out there? What are your birthday plans?

Are you following me yet? ;)



10 comments:

  1. That cake is the coolest cake EVER!!!
    Lucky girl.
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That cake looks great. Sounds like you had a wonderful birthday weekend. Happy belated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, that's so cool that he made you a cake! It looks terrific and he indeed looks proud. Happy happy birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great cake! Good job Loukas! (Also, teach my husband how to bake!:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loukas got some mega points! That cake looks amazing! Happy birthday, Amber dear :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that your boyfriend baked that cake for you and it's a great looking cake too! Happy Birthday :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay Loukas! The cake looks so good! Great presentation! He must have done a good job at keeping you out of the kitchen because I saw a dirty dish in one of the shots ;) Dirty dishes don't exist long enough in your kitchen to survive a snapshot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. haha, you are right PJ... those dirty dishes were driving me crazy, but he made me get out of the kitchen. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy belated birthday! Loukas made a beautiful little cake. Especially impressed with the strawberry letters - wow!

    Happily,
    adriennefriend, a fellow mofo-er
    http://cracktheplates.com

    ReplyDelete